I am so there. You should come too!
SAVE THE DATE! Orthodox Education Day 2012 Focuses on Writings of Tolkien and Lewis & The Hunger Games!
October 6, 2012
Save the date of Saturday, October 6, 2012, for our annual Open House, Orthodox Education Day (OED). This year’s theme will be “Inklings of Glory: Godward Journeys with Lewis and Tolkien,” and features of the day will include:
- Lecture by Priest Andrew Cuneo (SVOTS alumnus ’10), the first Oxford University scholar ever to receive a doctoral degree on C.S. Lewis, and currently the founding priest of St. Katherine of Alexandria Orthodox Mission in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
- Book Study for your parish book clubs or personal interest! Father Andrew Cuneo, an expert on the writings and thought of C.S. Lewis will lead a discussion on the book The Abolition of Man; please bring your book and thinking caps!
- Lecture by Dr. Christopher Mitchell, director of the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College, which houses a major research collection by and about seven British authors, including J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. View a lecture by Dr. Mitchell, “Lewis and Tolkien: Scholars and Friends,” here.
- Young People’s Workshop by Dr. Kate Behr, professor of English at Concordia College, on the book and movie sensation: “The Hunger Games.”
- Weeping Icon of St. Anna from St. Tikhon’s Monastery displayed for public veneration
- Early morning Divine Liturgy and mid-day Akathist service
- Seminary library display of icons from the British Isles
- Sacred music choral performance
- Traditional national dance—including a champion Irish step dancer!
- Variety of ethnic foods
Click here for more information.