March is such a strange month. Everything seems to hit the fan, with no school vacation or relief (weather!) in sight. And there’s one tiny other factor, which came up on gchat the other day…
me: It’s Lent! Of course I’m going crazy!
So, thank God it’s April. Thank God it’s almost Pascha. Thank God for giving us His Pascha! 1.5 weeks, folks- we can do this.
Daily spiritual reading-
- Elder Barsanuphius of Optina, Victor Afanasiev
- The Bible. (Usually via http://jordanville.org)
- Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
- Watching the Roses, Adele Geras
- Common Ground, J. Anthony Lukas
Books I that have been on hold, but want to finish-
- With Pain and Love for Contemporary Man, Elder Paisios
- The Private Life of Chairman Mao, Dr. Li Zhisui
- Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins (again)
- Sisterhood Everlasting, Ann Brashers
- Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult
- Plain Truth, Jodi Picoult
- A Bend in the Road, Nicholas Sparks
- Let’s Get Lost, Sarra Manning
- The Choice, Nicholas Sparks
- This Lullaby, Sarah Dessen
Stopped because I couldn’t take it anymore-
- Black Mass, Dick Lehr (we know what happens, and half my kids are using it to write papers)
Next up- Revisiting some favorites!
- An eleventh hour attempt to read one book of the Gospel before Pascha.
- The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
- A Shakespeare- I still have 6 plays left.
- A C.S. Lewis- A Grief Observed has been sitting on my shelf for two years
- An Orson Scott Card book, it’s been too long.
This month I’ve been downing chick lit like it’s chocolate. Stress? I also think I’ve been reading on my kindle too much. Even with 571 books on there, it feels limiting. With unemployment looming it may be time to visit some of my favorite used book stores again…